Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Mainstream Media Shows Their Claws & Paints Their Nails

Yesterday the New York Times asked "When Did Wild Nail Polish Go Mainstream?"

My answer is when Reba McEntire wore black nail polish to host the Academy of Country Music awards. As someone who went through her "Goth" phase well over 20 years ago, I just laughed.

The ACMs were around the time I went to a job interview at a law firm, and the attorney I interviewed with was wearing a deep sapphire shade.

The point was well taken -- what does a gal have to do these days to set herself apart from the dreaded MAINSTREAM???!!!

Coincidently, yesterday I picked up a Quick Dry Nail Pen from Sally Hansen at the 99 Cent Only Store. I chose "Turquoise Chrome" as my non traditional color choice -- to be honest, there wasn't much to chose from, and this seemed the pick of the picked over litter.

Of course weird nail polish is nothing new. . . one of the few things I ever shoplifted, (or attempted to) was baby blue nail polish from the TG&Y store when I was in Junior High. My dad had a Ford Pick-Up Truck the same color. It was ages ago, literally decades . . . umm, let's just say "midis" where in style, there were crazy, long lines to buy gas, "American Pie" was on the radio, and Richard Nixon was in office.

Through these many years, the cosmetic companies have enjoyed ridiculous profits from the cheap thrill crazy lacquers give the young (or those longing for their younger days), and brash. Of course, being the cheap ass and do it yourselfer that I am, I've always opted for the Dollar or Dime Store version of these frosts, metallics, glitter, and creme hues, or better yet (honestly, it was only once!) -- the five finger discount.

While I'm confessing, I might as well come clean . . . I have never once had a professional mani or pedi. The thing is, I work with my hands a lot -- back in the day, I used to play guitar, and my nails were basically nonexistant (I don't know how Dolly Parton does it!). Add caring for farm animals, leatherwork, working in a Sign Shop, and well . . . I just never saw the point in wasting money on something that wouldn't last, or would actually prohibit my productivity.

But, I digress . . . I couldn't resist the Sally Hansen Quick Dry Nail Pen for a buck, and it is indeed very easy, and VERY fast drying. . . like INSTANT! Today, I added a second coat (though I didn't really need it), and it went on fairly well, not as smooth as coat one, but not bad. A turquoise ring or two, and I was stylish and good to go.

In fact, I felt a little like Liza Minnelli in "Cabaret" who shows off her "Divine Decadence" shade of frosted forest green.

It made me feel (pick one) 10, 20, 30, even 40 years younger . . . and (maybe not) just another hand in the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment