Sunday, May 1, 2011

May Day Daisies from the Dollar Store

When I was a kid, my mom had a very charming tradition for May Day. She would have us make construction paper cones with handles, and we would fill them with hard candies like wrapped butterscotches, and top them off with flowers from our garden, mostly daisies and we would then hang these on our neighbor's door handles.

This blogger "skiptomylou" made lovely baskets, with a beautiful photo and instructions here .

It was such a sweet gesture to welcome the Merry (and Mary -- as it is the Virgin Mary's month, celebrated in Catholicism) month of May!

I didn't make the cones, but I did get some Chrysanthemums that look like daisies from the 99 Cent Store. You'll notice I buy a lot of flowers there, and the Easter Mums are already fading a bit. I always try to keep them alive and blooming as long as possible, and sometimes I actually plant them, but here in Vegas by the end of May it is too hot for much of anything other than cactus to survive outside, so mostly I just enjoy them while I can and buy new ones when they are spent.

Happy May Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment