Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Mother's Style, and a Grandmother's Gift

The NYTimes ran an article today for Mother's Day entitled For These Designers, Mom Knew Best , which includes interviews with fashion designers about the legacy of style and design, that they inherited from their mothers.

It got me thinking about my Mom, and my Grandmothers especially, who influenced my taste and creativity. You may have noticed that I am rather fond of butterflies. I don't buy all butterflies that I see, but when I see a good one, I just have to have it. I try not to repeat myself too much, but one butterfly in particular does crop up in my photos more than once. It may be the single most favorite thing I've ever bought in a Dollar Store, and it is the big pink sparkly one in the lower right hand side of this photo.

It adorned my Tribute to Patsy Cline, and my Easter Bonnet, and it took the utmost restraint not to add it to my Derby Fascinator.

The reason I love it so much, is that it goes so well with my most cherished inheritance from my Grandmother, Idris Holcomb - the pink, blue, and clear rhinestone butterfly pin in the upper right corner.

She was a wonderful person, who encouraged all her grandchildren to follow their hopes and dreams.  My older sister and cousin benefitted from educations from prestigious law schools. Another cousin inherited the beach house. There where other things like stocks that got divvied up when she passed, but of all the momentos and things of monetary value, I think I may have made out the best.

Certainly, more than once my hopes and dreams have been dashed, but I still hang tight to her acknowledgment of my little whims and flights of fancy . . . and that rhinestone butterfly pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment